GMB Charter for Security Workers Cash and valuables in transit (CVIT)
· Increase police resources to deal specifically with armed robbery.
· Local authority planning guidelines to ensure that safe cash handling systems are a legal requirement.
· Increased prison sentence for carrying guns and weapons illegally.
· Local authorities to remove restrictions on CVIT vans.
· Ensure ATM’s sites are fully risk assessed and safe before installation.
· Produce crime statistics that identify CVIT attacks separately.
· Customers of CVIT to take more responsibility for reducing attacks.
· Docking systems for the safe transfer of cash in new build and refurbishments.
· Customers to comply with all Health and Safety obligations.
· Safe areas and procedures for transfer of cash in banks and retail outlets.
· Fast tracking routes within banks and shopping centres for CVIT couriers.
· Ensure CCTV systems are working and monitored
· Full compliance with Health and Safety obligations, and carry out risk assessments.
· Provision of suitable Personal Protective Equipment.
· Ensure adequate staffing levels are maintained.
· Provide safe work systems and ensure they are resourced.
· Provide comprehensive personal safety training for all employees.
· Introduce a compensation scheme for staff who are victims of violence through work.
For all parties involved
Increase awareness that this is not a victimless crime. Our members and their families are often left to suffer, after a violent attack, for the rest of their lives.